The new and improved defender of RPGs!

Wednesday 27 June 2018

Classic Rant: Fantastic Review of Dark Albion

So, here's the Savage GM, giving us a very emphatic review of Dark Albion. It's great, very thorough, and you can totally feel the enthusiasm he has for the book in it! Check it out:


 

A couple of notes:

1. I definitely got inspiration from Game of Thrones, but besides that I probably got as much inspiration from Shakespeare's historical saga plays.

2. I'm really happy he liked the Appendix P house rules! I do want to note that while Savage GM points out that "you advance in level very quickly", from level 0 to level 3 or so, I would also note that a key of the system (and why it works in Albion's low-level environment, a characteristic of the setting the video pointed out) is that after that you start to advance a lot slower. So the rules let you get up to "expert" level faster than most OSR games but then lingers longer in what I feel is that sweet-spot between levels 4-9.

3. I totally get what he means by it, but I do think its adorable that the Savage GM associates "Cornwall" with "elegance". For viewers who've never been to the UK, that's a bit like associating "Arkansas" with "decorum".

4. By some bizarre twist of fate, the Savage GM's real life accent (at least, I assume it's real) sounds almost exactly like the accent I use when I'm playing Zeke Bodean, Scriptural Archeologist in my DCC campaign. I couldn't let this entry go without pointing that out.


Anyways, check out the video, +1 it, like it, and Tell The People all about the awesomeness that is Dark Albion!


RPGPundit

(Originally Posted June 26, 2016)

No comments:

Post a Comment