The new and improved defender of RPGs!

Friday 2 December 2016

What I'm Considering Working On: An Even MORE "Medieval Authentic" OSR Book

In Dark Albion, I tried to make magic-users (and to a certain extent, clerics) more "medieval authentic" in the style of how magic worked in the Albion setting. I introduced the rules for demon summoning, which work completely separately from the vancian part of the magic system, toned down the spell selection to get rid of stuff that would be too flashy, and tried to frame stuff on item-creation of D&D-style magic items and spell-research to fit the setting.

But lately I've been toying with the idea of trying to remake both Clerics and Magisters (Magic-users) to fit the medieval authentic mode even more accurately. This would involve scrapping the Vancian magic and spell system entirely, giving clerics a limited selection of miraculous gifts, and magic-users a set of skills and magical talents as well as knowledge of summoning. 



Some of these magical techniques would be potentially quite powerful, but mostly would require either more time or more preparation beforehand, rather than the vancian system where magisters can cast a spell in a single round so long as they've just memorized it.

All of it would be based on the type of things medieval/renaissance magicians actually studied and were believed to be able to do.

Is this something that people would have an interest in?

RPGPundit

Currently Smoking: Dunhill Diplomat + C&D's Crowley's Best 

16 comments:

  1. This reminds me of Aquelarre. Is it the level of realism you're aiming at ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somewhat, yes. Still a little wee bit closer to D&D but close.

      Delete
  2. Pundit are you familiar with Ars Magica? I know their basic magic system wasn't medieval-realistic, but I think (never read it) that The Mysteries contained more realistic magic. I once had their Kabbalah and Hedge Magic books which were also on the realistic side, the former especially. I think the key thing though is playability. If you have spells that take months to cast etc then you've got a very different kind of OSR game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and yes I would be interested in such a thing...

      Delete
  3. Absolutely.

    I have thought about creating such a system myself, but don't know enough about medieval magic or about game design to have confidence that it would both (a) accurately reflect medieval magic and miracle-working and (b) work well with the rest of D&D. I would love to see what you come up with.

    One thing I've noticed about D&D magic that seems to differ greatly from medieval magic is that D&D magic-users cannot cast healing spells of any kind--whereas that seems to have been an important part of the repertoire of village witches and learned magicians alike.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definite interest. Would it focus on magic similar to what John Dee wrote/practiced, or Kabbalah, etc.?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved your Dark Albion stuff so far, and I'd certainly be interested in this too. I'd still want magistri to be able to do something in a fight, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The way I'm envisioning it, they would be able to do things in a fight, but to do that would require preparation beforehand.

      Delete
  7. Check out that Fantasy Wargaming book that came out in the 80s with a cool looking demon emerging from a spellbook. I think that touched on what you're talking about.

    ReplyDelete