The new and improved defender of RPGs!

Wednesday 22 February 2017

Help Me Settle on a Title for my Medieval-Authentic OSR Game

So, I've picked up speed lately on my upcoming Medieval-Authentic OSR Rulebook. It's going to be a complete OSR-based RPG with a lot of innovations. The emphasis will be on running games in worlds (be it our own historical world, or others) that more accurately reflect medieval society, culture, and ideas.   It'll have some material copied (with slight adjustment) from my Dark Albion setting (which is a Medieval-Authentic setting, of course), but it will also have a lot of new material and expanding previous material. It won't have it's own setting, just the default setting of an Albion-style medieval authentic world (with various examples mentioning the world of Albion).  It will not be a Dark Albion product, in the sense that you don't have to own Dark Albion of any of its supplements to use it.  It'll be entirely self-contained.

So far, I've written somewhat over 50000 words for it. So progress is good!  But there is one little thing that's been a big block for me: it's name.

Obviously, I don't think it should just be called "Medieval Authentic OSR Rulebook".  But I can't quite settle on anything else yet.



So I'm bringing it to you! Here's a few titles I've been toying around with. Tell me which you think might be the best one for the book!

-"Lion & Dragon: Medieval Authentic OSR Rules"

-"Magisters and Ruffians: Medieval Authentic OSR Rules"

-"Misbegotten Knaves: Medieval Authentic OSR Rules"

-"Irons of Wrath: Medieval Authentic OSR Rules"

-"Cracked Crowns: Medieval Authentic OSR Rules"

-"Barren Earth: Medieval Authentic OSR Rules"

-"Hollow Crown: Medieval Authentic OSR Rules"

Yes, other than the first one (which is a reference to the standards of the Plantagenets and the Tudors), and the second (which is maybe the most typical "D&D-esque" title) all the others are Shakespeare references.

So, share your opinion, let me know which you think looks like the best choice to you.
Oh, and if you have an idea of your own that you really think is great, and want to give away, feel free to make your suggestion too.


RPGPundit

Currently Smoking: Ben Wade Rhodesian + Image Latakia

43 comments:

  1. A Pot of Ale and Safety: Medieval Authentic OSR RUles

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about... Medieval Wrath?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've switched the order of words since it just sounds better to me, but take or leave my stab at it:
    Feudal Fantasy: Authentic Medieval OSR Rules
    Flame and Steel: Authentic Medieval OSR Rules
    Fallen Crowns: Authentic Medieval OSR Rules

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you're thinking Shakespeare, how about something like "Prospero's Codex"? He is the greatest magic user in the Bard's canon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shakespeare evokes the Renaissance rather than the Dark Ages.

      Delete
  5. I'm for the switch as well.

    "Plague & Ale: Authentic Medieval OSR Rules"
    "Bastards and Ruffians: Authentic Medieval OSR Rules"

    My pick from your list would be:
    "Magisters and Ruffians: Medieval Authentic OSR Rules"

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like...

    Bastards and Magisters as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Black Death and Red Steel
    Death and Steel
    Cockatrices and Crowns

    I quite like Fuedal Fantasy actually, succinctly captures the idea.

    Good luck! It is a very interesting project.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Has to be Misbegotten Knaves. Barren Earth sounds like a sci fi game based on the conic books and the others are vague aside from Magisters & Ruffians, but that sounds like a courtroom drama like Magistrates & Hooligans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Comic books, that is. Not cone-shaped books.

      Delete
  9. Put me down as another vote for Feudal Fantasy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Magisters and Ruffians: Medieval Authentic OSR Rules

    ReplyDelete
  11. "Feudal Fantasy: Authentic Medieval OSR Rules" sounds good to me

    ReplyDelete
  12. Feudal Fantasy has a nice ring to it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lion & Dragon.

    Or dabble with a bit of Olde English... How about Ye Olde Medieval Authentic OSR Rules.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm with Lion and Dragon or maybe Hollow Crown (if there's a sufficient focus on the nobility and politics). Tell me this: this is a sourcebook for 14th/15th century-esque games, right, rather than earlier periods?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There won't really be much focus on politics per se, or nobility; because all that stuff is already in Dark Albion.
      And yes, it's for 14th/15th C. Late medieval to very early renaissance.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  15. Knowing adventurers I say go with Misbegotten Knaves.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Blood and Mud: Medieval Authentic OSR Rules

    OR

    Cracked Crowns: Medieval Authentic OSR Rules

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wyrd & Woad
    Most of the greats have a "&" in the middle
    Wyrd represents the Anglo Saxon concept of personal destiny
    Woad refers to a plant used by the Picts for warpaint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that would be a GREAT title for a Dark Ages game, but not so much for late medieval.

      Delete
  18. From a glance, misbegotten knaves jumped out at me, but I can't say for any particular reason.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Write the entire thing from John Dee's perspective, and call it 'A Renaissance Guide To Magick'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, in the first place it's not just a magic book, it's a complete medieval-authentic RPG. So that would be a slightly confusing title.
      Besides that, there'd be the problem that Dee is more than a century later than the period I'm emulating.

      Delete
  20. "Lion & Dragon" is my favorite. Sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I kinda like Feudal Fantasy too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm in the Lion & Dragon camp. Simple and memorable.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Cracked Crowns is awesome, but have you considered "Veil of Tears?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you mean "Vale of Tears"? 'Cause "veil of tears" isn't a thing. Either way, what does it have to with the game as described?

      Delete
    2. My bad for the misspelling, but Vale of Tears was a major concept in the Medieval church.

      Delete
    3. I see, but if I saw a game with that title I would assume it was some sort of religious-themed game. How about Dragonraid for a title?

      Delete
    4. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  24. SWORDS & SERFS
    FIEFS & FRIARS
    DONJONS & DRAGONS
    CASTLES & CRUSADES
    SPEARS & SPIRES

    yeah, the alliterative thing is overdone

    ReplyDelete