The new and improved defender of RPGs!

Thursday 22 May 2014

Continued 5e Update

So by now some of you (those of you who really truly give a shit about all this) will have heard that there was another trickle of information.  Some WoTC spokesman somewhere said something like this:

"Approx 15% of the D&D Player's Handbook will be free on WotC site to cover the basics of building characters for those getting Starter Sets."

Naturally, some people were wondering if this was what I was alluding to in my previous posts; the same news I sounded very excited about (because no doubt while most of you who aren't D&D-haters will find the above good news, you will find it a little underwhelming).


The only way I can honestly answer the question of whether this is what I was talking about is to say "I don't know..."

If it is what this WoTC guy is talking about, then it is the absolute most underwhelming way possible to explain the news, and I would go so far as to accuse it of being inaccurate.

Its so off-mark from what I've heard that I wonder if this isn't just something different, some stopgap no one bothered to tell me about.

Anyways, there's one other piece of news that some people might have missed. Something more important than it looks:

"@thalmin mentioned the rules will be for BASIC characters (emphasis from the WotC rep)"


Anyways, draw your own conclusions as to why I would highlight that out of everything.  As usual, I'm not allowed to say anything one way or the other.

RPGPundit

Currently Smoking: Stanwell Deluxe + Image Latakia

6 comments:

  1. If I were to speculate, I'd say your comments, the rep's comments, and the smoke in the air add up to 1-20 levels support for the 4 core character classes, albeit with "limited" (aka "basic") options and spells. So you could play a basic campaign with no other purchases.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Something to keep in mind is that in the Escapist interview Wolf Bauer said the both books of the Tyranny of Dragons adventures could be played only with the DnD Starter set. That makes me think something hefty is in the wings. Those adventures are for 1st thru 15th level.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing the information that you can. Sounds encouraging.

    ReplyDelete