The new and improved defender of RPGs!

Thursday 3 July 2014

The D&D BASIC PDF is out! Well... Sort of. Plus: RPGPundit's Revenge. Plus: A First Easter-Egg!

First, the big news, which if you're a gamer you've probably heard everywhere already.  The fifth edition of D&D is now officially here.

Actually, it's here. You can download the basic PDF.

Only I want to make something very clear: this is not really the basic PDF.  Not the one I'll put my final seal of approval on, anyways.  Note that this is the "0.1" edition.  This is intentional; we have between now and sometime around the end of the year to make sure everything is really right, and then the 1.0 version will be coming along, which will be much more complete and final.

Do keep that in mind when you're looking at these rules.

Also, take a look at the credits.

No, not because I'm in them. Well, yes, because of that of course! Because Fuck-You to all the morons (and we all remember who they were, even if they will now try to pretend it wasn't them) who actually thought I wasn't  involved in the D&D project.

But actually, what I really wanted you to take a look at is the little blurb that comes right AFTER my name in the credits.  The little disclaimer there right below it.

Because you might just have skipped right over that little blurb otherwise, and I thought you should see the message for old-schoolers that's there.

RPGPundit

Currently Smoking: Moretti Rhodesian + Gawith's Squadron Leader

17 comments:

  1. I have to say, the inclusion of Jeff Grubb as a consultant made me very, very happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. See if you can get them to remove the background of the PDF and make it B&W, so printing is cheaper and quicker. Also, do ideals, bonds, and flaws actually do anything?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think they have some impact on inspiration and that is it. I think inspiration does something, but nothing really major. It is pretty weak and easy to ignore. I am just wondering why it is there in the first place because it is such a useless mechanic.

    Now a better story like mechanic is background. That I actually like because it is like third option. You got race, class, and then background. All three gives you a bonus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seemed like something they just threw in to appease the story crowd.

      Delete
    2. It hardly does anything right now, but... Hell, you know what?....

      Give me a month or two with this. After the last year and a half, exploring ideas thrown out by 13th Age and Dungeon World, I have seen what is good about those systems and offers some potential to really add a new level of depth to games and what aspects send me back to D&D.

      In the official game they may have little purpose, but once I have some time to compile my thoughts together I will go ahead and release a set of house rules that will really give new depth to games. And what is there right now is just the sort of encouragement and hook I need.

      And, if you hate the ideas, well then... ignore them. They'll be utterly unofficial and in the official game those aspects will do next to nothing of interest. On the other hand, if you like the idea of a more character-driven game then please incorporate those rules. Or even beat me to the punch and write them up yourself!

      Delete
    3. Good luck with that andrew. Though as much as I like FATE system and I know what you are talking about. Still this is just a weak mechanic, but maybe you can make it better.

      Delete
  4. Brett B: They now have a link to a print friendly version up at wizards.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @LevyK: some people, like me, actually like fluffy role-playing stuff like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should care about this for what reason?

      Seriously what is wrong with you? You don't like a opinion so you feel compelled to face me instead of presenting a argument on why you think the mechanic is strong. Try to come up with a reason why you think this is a good mechanic.

      I mean the only thing you get out of it is a point that you can spend to have a advantage on a single roll. Nice, but nothing a single bless spell can out shine and that is a level one spell. As you level up and get better would inspiration even be needed? I highly doubt it.

      Delete
    2. Cheer, LevyK: Please read my sentence again and notice I never implied that you should like "fluffy" (ie. non-mechanic) game elements, nor did I even attempt to open a conversation as to why you should like such elements. My sentence was a simple statement of fact that there are some people, including myself, who enjoy such things.

      Other than addressing you to state this simple fact, I did not "face" you, as you put it. I do not dislike your opinion, and I didn't make a statement to that effect.

      Seriously, there are many things that are wrong with me. Assuming you are human, there are probably many things wrong with you as well. We probably even share a few faults, but reading comprehension isn't one of them.

      Delete
    3. Wow okay I must had gotten too defensive there. Sorry about that. Usually people start attacking me for saying opinion when it comes to pretendy fun time games.

      Delete
  6. There is now a printer friendly edition available.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How rude of me. Congrats on being in the book RPGPundit. You certainly deserve that for the games you made.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats! Glad you and Zak are thanked. Makes me interested in DnD5e.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks good to me. Clean and efficient.

    ReplyDelete